It’s obvious that these days stress is at an all time high. We have to do any and everything to keep our stress levels low, because excessive stress weakens our immune systems! So now that you’ve made up your mind to begin your wellness journey, here’s a few things to keep in mind.
- Don’t go too hard on yourself — We don’t mean don’t push yourself! But don’t be so hard on yourself that you only focus on the things you’re doing wrong and not what you’re doing right. Most of the time, when we make mistakes, they’re small ones that have no or minimal consequences. Some of us are perfectionist and we are very vulnerable under this type of behavior but let’s remember to breathe and take it day by day.
- Keep a journal — It doesn’t matter who you are or where you are, journaling is a great way to help you gain control of your emotions and improve your mental health. When you’re dealing with overwhelming emotions, journaling could be used for managing emotions caused by your stress, anxiety and depression. Writing down how you feel might help you acknowledge those feelings, learn the triggers and come up with a solution.
Journaling helps to improve your mood by:
- Helping you list your problems, fears, and things that may concern you.
- Tracking any symptoms on a daily basis so that you can recognize triggers and learn ways to better handle them.
- Allowing an opportunity for positive self-talk and identifying negative thoughts.
3. Try to do something enjoy everyday — Whatever you do, don’t go all day without doing something that will be enjoyable to you. That could be anything from dancing, watching your favorite TV show or movie, working in your garden, painting or even having a night with friends. When you make a habit of doing things that are enjoyable to you, it will make you more productive and you’ll be more fulfilled.
I hope that this short but simple list helps you in some way on your self-care journey! Remember that taking the time to care for yourself is the key to being able to fully serve others.
Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. ~Oprah Winfrey